When I was a kid, every time my family went to a restaurant, I would order the biggest plate EVER of something covered in alfredo or mushroom sauce.
Usually… fettuccini. “Fettuccini” is even enjoyable to say. Rolls nicely off the tongue!
“Zucchini Fettuccini” sounds even better, don’t you think??
This recipe is dairy free, and can be made vegan by leaving out the chicken!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized (or peeled into noodles using a vegetable peeler. You could substitute spaghetti squash if you would prefer!)
- Grilled chicken breast
- Optional freshly shaved parmesan cheese
For the mushroom sauce:
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, chopped
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- handful fresh parsley, basil, and oregano
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- In a skillet, sauté all ingredients for the mushroom sauce, except for the coconut milk. Add the fresh herbs last – they are delicate and we want to avoid them burning!
2) Pour the contents of the pan into a food processor. Add the coconut milk and pulse until a creamy sauce forms. It will be light green from the fresh herbs!
3) Toss the zucchini, chicken, and mushroom sauce in the pan for 30 seconds over low heat to combine.
4) Top with optional parmesan, additional herbs, freshly cracked salt and pepper, and enjoy!
A joke to leave you with:
What do you call a zucchini noodle?