Summer is just fantastic. The bonfires, the smell of freshly cut grass, the birds chirping in the morning… THE BBQs!!
Shish-kababs have always been one of the most fun foods in my opinion! It’s like a little party on a skewer.
I served these chicken zucchini ribbon shish-kababs with eggplant also done on the BBQ and a pesto drizzle / dipping sauce!
For the skewers
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 2 Zucchinis, peeled into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes
For the pesto:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 30 g (1/8 cup) walnuts or pine nuts
- fresh basil
- 1/2 clove garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper
- Cut chicken breast into small cubes and marinate with salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice, and onion.
- Alternate chicken, tomatoes, and zucchini (folding and piercing like an accordion) on a skewer. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Grill or BBQ until cooked through. These need to be turned frequently and occasionally sprayed with a but of oil to avoid the delicate zucchini burning!
- For the pesto, pulse all ingredients together in a food processor.
That’s it! These are great for meal prep too- slide everything off the skewer and straight into a container filled with spinach for a fresh salad! Sometimes I put a bit of parmesan or additional lemon juice on it too!