Monday, Monday, Monday!
I went grocery shopping for the week ahead yesterday, and caught myself at the check out, zoned out at the impulse purchases. You know, the candy bars, gum, and magazines that call your name as you wait in line.
We have a chocolate bar here called “Snickers”, a chocolate peanut butter caramel morsel of goodness, whose slogan is “You’re Not You When You’re Hungry!!” and markets itself with different words to describe how your behaviour changes when you need food. Words like “Grouchy”, “Sleepy”, and “Irritable” are written in the brand’s font in large letters across the candy bar. And as I stared blankly at the word “Spacey”, I realized that Yes. I was, in fact, hungry!
Home I went, on a mission to create something sweet. These “Snickers” protein bars were the result!
Nutritional Information (Makes 8 Pieces)
3 grams Fat
4.3 grams Carbs (2.6 grams Sugar)
5 grams Protein
For the bar
- 6 tbsp (45 g) powdered peanut butter
- 1 (35 g)scoop whey powder
- 1 tbsp (15 g) all natural peanut butter
- 30 drops stevia
- 1/2 tsp caramel extract
- pinch salt
- splash unsweetened almond or cashew milk
For the chocolate coating
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients for peanut butter bar together in a bowl, folding until doughy. You may need to add a bit more milk, but do so slowly as to not create a gooey batter!
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper, and press the dough in to fill the space. About 2/3 of my bread pan were filled, but depending on how thick you’d like your bars to be, 1/3 – 1/2 would be great too!
- Place in fridge overnight to set (or for 1 hour in the freezer).
- Only after the bars are set, make your chocolate coating by melting the tsp coconut oil and chocolate chips together.
- Remove the bar from the fridge and create a well with the remaining parchment to catch the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the bars and evenly distribute using the bottom of a spoon or a spatula.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour to harden.
- Cut into bars!
I hope your Monday is seriously awesome. I really do!!