ZESTY POST-WORKOUT ORANGE CREAMSICLES
Macros for 4 full sized popsicles (photo shows 3 because I ate one… couldn’t help myself hehe)
2 g Fat
37 g Carbs
26 g Protein
If you follow my Instagram, you’ve probably seen that I am truly a huge fan of “Brain Gains”! For your inner curious kid (which is actually one of my goals in 2018; to be more curious! After all, so many things are born from curiousity – new perspectives, innovation, self awareness… you name it!), here are a few key points with regards to post workout nutrition to consider following resistance training for hypertrophy, or muscle growth:
➡️The goal following your workout is to get carbohydrates and protein (amino acids when broken down) to your muscles… FAST🏃💨
➡️Your ideal post-workout meal should contain minimal fat, as this macronutrient can actually slow the digestion and absorption of carbs and amino acids (which we want to shuttle to the muscles as quickly as possible)!
➡️High GI (glycemic index; higher in sugar) carbohydrates stimulate an insulin release, which will aid in transporting the carbs and amino acids straight to the muscle tissue for rapid repair and anabolism (muscle growth).
AND NOW…. For the recipe! Honey and maple syrup are both simple sugars, allowing for that speedy transportation of nutrients to the muscles, while a lean protein such as whey powder is an amazing building block for new muscle tissue.
• 1 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
• Juice of 1 orange + zest
• 1 tbsp honey, maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
• 1 scoop Vanilla Whey (I found this one gave it the classic smoothness of a creamsicle)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
Method (prepare the night before):
1) Combine ingredients by blending until thick and creamy.
2) Pour into 4 popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
3) Bust it home following your workout and get hyped to treat yourself to not 1, but FOUR super creamy popsicles!