Cinnamon rolls. THE ULTIMATE combo of flavours. Not sure who thought of putting cream cheese and cinnamon together, but that person is a genius.
When I was a kid, my Oma would make “Wespennester” (translated to “Wasp Nests”) with my brother and I- they’re a cinnamon roll WITHOUT the cinnamon or cream cheese frosting. For some imagery, they’re a golden rolled up pastry of glory coated in butter and sugar. What I remember about making Wespennester together though, is pulling them apart after they came out of the oven all warm and fresh.
That was the goal with this recipe: Simply super fun to pull apart and enjoy!
Here’s an easy, gluten free alternative that won’t cause a crazy blood sugar spike like a traditional cinnamon roll!
HEALTHY PULL APART CINNAMON ROLLS
Nutritional Information per roll (makes 8):
✨For the Dough
• 2 cups (90 g) oat flour (I ground regular oats in my coffee grinder)
• 2 scoops (70 g) Vanilla Whey powder
• 45 mL Unsweetened Applesauce
• 30 mL sugar free syrup
• 1 large egg
• 1 tsp baking powder
• pinch salt, 1 tbsp cinnamon
✨For the Cinnamon Filling
• Pam butter cooking spray
• 2 tbsp Cinnamon
• Granulated Sweetener of Choice (I used Splenda)
✨For the Icing (simply whisk these together)
• 30 g Low Fat Cream Cheese
• Quick pour of unsweetened cashew milk
• Granulated Sweetener of Choice
1) Mix all dry ingredients. Once thoroughly combined, add the wet and stir to combine.
2) Knead the dough. It should be crumbly at first, but will eventually form a ball.
3) Refrigerate for an hour.
4) Preheat oven to 350 and remove the dough from the fridge.
5) Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Roll into a rectangle; about 1/2-1 cm thick.
6) Coat in butter spray and sprinkle with cinnamon and sweetener.
7) Roll the long way and slice into 8 rolls.
8) Spray with butter spray to avoid burning. Bake for 5-8 minutes, depending on the oven.
9) Drizzle with icing and additional cinnamon.