I love vegetables- there’s something about fuelling your body with non-processed foods that just feels GOOD. I used to follow the Paleo diet, and while I am no longer strict with this style of eating, I love the principle of focusing on micronutrient dense foods, simply because your body thrives off of them! It LOOOVES them!
It’s weird; the extent to which I love vegetables. Aren’t we told as kids that we’ll be rewarded with desert if we finish our vegetables? As if we MUST GET THROUGH the pain of consuming vegetables if we want to have something tasty?
No sir! Veggies as an appetizer, main course, and dessert, I say!
Okay. I like a chocolatey dessert too.
This dish however, is so rich in flavour that it has become an absolute staple in my day. The reward for eating it is butternut squash’s micronutrient dense profile packed with Vitamin A, C, and B-6. And also, knowing that you’re putting something good into your body.
- 1 butternut squash, spiralized (You can also purchase butternut squash pre-spiralized, or use a potato peeler to make wider, thin noodles!)
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Fresh kale, torn
- Fresh rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Coat a non-stick pan in olive oil, coconut, or butter spray. Heat to medium and add butternut squash. Aggressively season with salt, pepper, and fresh, finely chopped rosemary and sage. Using fresh herbs makes a difference! Stir occasionally.
OPTIONAL FLAVOUR BOOSTER:
Sauteé the butternut squash in chopped bacon or turkey bacon.
- In a separate pan, cook the crispy kale. For how-to, see here.
Add the kale to the butternut squash noodles and toss. When noodles are soft, transfer contents of the pan to a plate.
- Poach the egg. To learn how to perfectly poach an egg, see here.
- Lay the poached egg on top of the noodles and garnish with a crack of fresh pepper.
I hope you find happiness in this bright and colourful veggie dish! You could easily swap the egg for another protein source, such as chicken, ground turkey, or extra lean ground beef for a tasty meal prep!