HIGH VOLUME MEAT SAUCE AND ZOODLES
I have a fondness for pasta. My mom used to pack tortellini with meat sauce in my lunch and I would literally be counting down the minutes until my break so that I could bust open my lunch bag!
This meat sauce is high volume, super easy to make, and tastes unreal over fresh spiralized zucchini!
The secret to high volume meat sauce with only a few additional calories?
• 1/4 cup (65 mL) no sugar added tomato sauce
• 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced (the key to high volume)
• 1/2 cup (100 g) extra lean ground turkey
• 5 leaves fresh basil
• Fresh garlic to your taste
• salt, pepper
• 100 g or 1 raw zucchini, spiralized or cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler (4g carbs opposed to a serving of spaghetti with is closer to 50g carbs)
1) Sauté the fresh garlic in a non stick skillet before adding ground turkey.
2) Season with salt and pepper.
3) Once cooked, add the mushrooms. The fats from the turkey will help boost their flavour!
4) Roll the basil leaves into a small “tube” and slice diagonally. I’ve found that this is the best way to chop herbs! #cookingtips Add to the skillet.
5) Finally, add the tomato sauce and stir.
6) Top zucchini noodles with the meat sauce, additional fresh basil, salt, cracked pepper and optional (but not actually optional because the flavour is AMAZING!) parmesan cheese.