Donuts are fun! Sprinkles are fun! The sugar crash afterwards? Naaaht so fun.
Nutritional Information for a Red Velvet Cupcake of the same size:
On the other hand, these protein donuts are super simple to make, and with less than 3 grams of sugar, you can feel great about enjoying this dessert!
Nutritional Information for 1 Red Velvet Protein Donut with icing (makes 11):
• 2 heaping scoops (85 g) whey powder
• (1 tbsp) 7 g cocoa powder
• 1/2 cup Splenda or sweetener of choice
• 1/2 cup (75 g) PB2
• 1 cup (219 g) 0%plain Greek yogurt
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp baking powder
• red food colouring and imitation caramel extract
• 1 scoop (35 g) whey powder
• 1/2 cup (116 g) Greek yogurt
• optional but highly recommended sprinkles 🎉
1) Preheat oven to 320F and spray a donut pan with non stick spray.
2) First, let’s make the donut batter! Combine the whey, cocoa, PB2, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
3) In a separate bowl, mix eggs, greek yogurt, sweetener of choice, caramel extract and red food colouring.
4) Pour the wet into the dry and fold the mixture, combining thoroughly.
5) Spoon mixture into a ziplock bag and cut off the end. Pipe each donut about 3/4 full and tap on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 6 minutes, checking to make sure they don’t overbake.
6) While baking, prep the icing by whisking together the Greek yogurt and whey.
7) Remove the donuts from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before removing.
8) Coat with icing and all the sprinkles!