I was a huge mac and cheese fan growing up. HUGE! If you ask anyone who knew me as a kid, they could tell you without hesitation that I never ordered anything off the menu that strayed from “penne pasta with parmesan cheese and melted butter”. If I was feelin’ fancy, maybe I would ask for some chicken or broccoli in there. But the key to my childhood heart?? Pasta and cheese.
As much as I love the taste of pasta and cheese and do believe in everything in moderation, my body does not love the sluggish feeling which I find accompanies it. This healthy twist on mac and cheese is light, baked, and full of the same cheesy goodness and flavour as a traditional recipe!
LOW CARB CAULI MAC & CHEESE
Nutritional Information per serving (makes 2):
192 calories • 11g Fat | 9g Carbs | 17g Protein
• 3 cups raw cauliflower, washed and broken into bite sized pieces
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 2 tbsp low fat cream cheese
• 90 g (approx. 1/2 cup) shredded low fat marble cheese
• 3 tbsp milk of choice (I use unsweetened cashew milk)
• 2 tsp dry ground mustard
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• Salt and Pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and distribute cauliflower evenly across. Spray with olive oil cooking spray, season with fresh pepper and sea salt, and roast for 20 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low-medium heat, stir milk and cream cheese until smooth and combined. Mix in salt, pepper, ground mustard, and paprika.
4) Add 1/2 of the shredded cheese to the saucepan, combine, and remove from heat.
5) Add the roasted cauliflower to the cheese mixture and toss until coated. Distribute across 3 skillets, ramekins, or a bread pan.
6) Cover the cauli mac & cheese with remaining cheese and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the top layer of cheese to melt and turn golden.
7) Remove and let this healthy comfort food warm you up this Monday!