When I was younger, my ABSOLUTE favourite food was my Omi’s carrot cake. Every time we went to her house as kids, my brother and I would sneak to the fridge to check if, by some inkling of a chance, there was a carrot cake waiting in there for us to have during “Kaffee und Kuchen” (Coffee and Cake in German).
So, all things carrot cake flavoured are seen in a very positive light in my eyes. And who couldn’t use a bit of positive light this chilly January?
These only take 15 minutes to make, so you can get straight to sharing them with family. As a bonus, they’re packed with protein and not with added sugars 🙂
CREAM CHEESE FROSTED PROTEIN CARROT CAKE DONUTS
Nutritional Information per frosted donut (makes 8):
45kcal • 1.5F | 3.5C | 5P
For the donuts
• 35g (1 scoop) vanilla whey powder
• 30g (1/3 cup) oatmeal ground into flour
• 1 egg
• 50g carrot baby food
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Fall spice blend (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice)
• pinch salt
For the frosting
• 30g reduced fat cream cheese
• Sweetener to taste
• Splash almond or cashew milk
1) Preheat oven to 350. Coat a donut pan with non-stick spray.
2) Mix all ingredients (dry and wet separately; then combine) in a small bowl.
3) Pour batter into a ziplock bag and cut off the end.
4) Pipe batter evenly among 8 donuts.
5) Bake for 7 minutes. Meanwhile, thoroughly combine frosting ingredients in a small bowl.
6) Allow to cool for 5 before removing from the pan. Dip in cream cheese frosting, and let the nostalgia return!
Keep rocking on,